Radio Staff, News & Public Affairs
Most Active Stories
- 11/19/14 - Violence witnessed by Alaska Native children causes PTSD at war veteran rates
- 11/24/14 - Walker-Mallott transition teams hear about looming fiscal crisis
- 11/20/14 - Begich sets Arctic port land trade as a priority
- 11/17/14 - Gov. Sean Parnell concedes race to Bill Walker
- 11/20/14 - BP completes sale of North Slope oil fields, affecting jobs of 475 people
Thu July 3, 2014
7/4/14 KNBA News - State says Alaska Natives turn out for elections in high numbers
Testifying in a voters' rights case, Division of Elections Director Gail Fenumiai says villages with sizable populations of limited English speakers beat the state's average turnout in the 2012 Presidential election. However, absentee and early ballots are not counted in turnout numbers. She was testifying in a case in which villages and elders say the state failed to provide complete translations of voting materials into Native languages. The state says it has met legal requirements.
Artists Noreen George of Tanana and Ed Mighell of Anchorage are two of many artists who are demonstrating their work at the Alaska Native Heritage Center. George describes how caribou tufting is done, and Mighell explains why he gave up civil engineering to make painted and glazed tiles using Cook Inlet clay.